Chocolate’s Properties and Use in Ayurveda Skincare Products
Chocolate does not always have to be a scrumptious dessert that widens our hips. It is also a very effective cosmetics ingredient found in many different products. Thanks to its anti-oxidant properties, chocolate especially when combined with a face mask, is a perfect solution to nourish and deeply cleanse our skin.
Additionally, Chocolate contains other minerals like magnesium and iron which makes it a very popular ingredient in skincare treatments. From an Ayurvedic point of view, dark chocolate is bitter and hot and can help balance Kapha Dosha. Those with oily skin can especially benefit from chocolate. But remember, when we talk about chocolate for consumption or as a cosmetics ingredient, we are specifically referring to chocolate that contains a minimum 70% cocoa content. The other ingredients found in chocolate commercially are sugar, milk and preservatives which are beneficial neither to our skin nor to our waistline.
Properties of Chocolate:
Chocolate has many positive skincare properties, which is why it is such a common ingredient in all different kinds of skincare products. Some of the key skincare properties of chocolate are:
- Rich in Antioxidants – chocolate protects the skin from free radicals, which cause aging. Thanks to chocolate, our skin becomes smoother and more youthful looking
- Cleanser – dark chocolate detoxifies and revives the skin by removing dead cells
- Removes Skin Discoloration – chocolate can help with reducing skin discolorations caused by the sun, as well as post acne scars making it ideal for the oily skin type
- Reduced Wrinkle Visibility – chocolate hydrates the skin, boosts production of collagen and improves blood circulation thus helping fight wrinkles
- Reduces UV Damage – flavonoids in chocolate act as sunscreen, helping to protect from UV rays thus making skin look healthier
DIY Detoxifying Chocolate Facemask
You don’t need to go to the spa or purchase a commercial chocolate facemask to reap the skincare benefits of chocolate. Try making this safe and natural detoxifying chocolate facemask at home, using common household ingredients:
- 1 tbs of dark chocolate (min. 70% of cocoa)
- 1 tbs of grinded oats
- 1 tbs of honey
- 2 tbs of natural yogurt
Chocolate together with oats will help cleanse and detoxify skin. Honey with yogurt will nourish it and give a soft smooth feeling.
Mix all the ingredients above and apply on your face and neck. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water. If you want to see in detail how to make a chocolate face mask, check out our DIY explainer video below:
Try this at home and let me know what you think about our chocolate face mask!